Sky halts Noel Clarke’s involvement in future productions following sexual harassment claims

0
40

Sky has stopped Noel Clarke's involvement in any future productions after he was accused of sexual harassment and bullying.

It said in a statement: "Sky stands against all forms of sexual harassment and bullying and takes any allegations of this nature extremely seriously.

"Effective immediately, we have halted Noel Clarke's involvement in any future Sky productions."

Clarke, 45, had been commissioned to star in a fourth season of its police drama Bulletproof, but filming has not yet started.

Noel Clarke attending the after show party for the EE British Academy Film Awards at the Grosvenor House Hotel in central London.

Image:
Clarke is pictured at a previous BAFTA ceremony in London

He was awarded the outstanding British contribution to cinema prize at the BAFTA ceremony in London earlier this month.

Advertisement

But his membership was suspended and the award revoked after 20 women told The Guardian he had sexually harassed and bullied them over a number of years.

The actor "vehemently" denies the claims, writing in a statement: "In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.

More from Bafta

"If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.

"I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Noel Clarke said he had fought to 'elicit change' in the industry during his BAFTA speech

BAFTA wrote to its members on Friday to say it did not learn of the allegations until after it announced Clarke would be getting the award.

In the letter, it said: "We did not know about any allegations relating to Noel Clarke prior to the announcement of the OBCC award on 29 March."

The academy claims that although it had been emailed anonymous, second and third-hand accounts of alleged misconduct, the accusers failed to go on record.

"Had the victims gone on record as they have with The Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately," BAFTA said.

Defending its actions, it added: "It would have been improper to halt the award at that point based on the extremely limited information that we had where the ultimate sources were unknown."

The academy stressed that it "has taken action against individuals who have been accused of similar behaviour in the past" and described the allegations as "abhorrent" and "extremely serious".

Noel Clark (right) and Ashley Walters starred in Bulletproof

Image:
Noel Clarke (right) and Ashley Walters in the show

Clarke is currently starring in ITV police drama Viewpoint.

Viewers have criticised the broadcaster for airing the remaining episodes of the series despite the allegations against him.

On Friday actor Michaela Coel, whose series I May Destroy You centres around sexual assault, came out in support of the women levelling the allegations.

She wrote on Twitter that she "stands with them in their indignation".

"I am here to offer great support for the 20 brave women who have come forward," she said.

"Speaking out about these incidents takes a lot of strength because some call them 'grey areas'. They are however far from grey."

Clarke won early acclaim for his role in the films Kidulthood and Adulthood, which he starred in and also helped to write and direct.

He found more mainstream fame as Mickey Smith in Doctor Who from 2005 to 2010, and since 2018 has appeared in Sky police series Bulletproof.

As well as his recent BAFTA, the London-born actor was awarded the academy's rising star prize in 2009 after the success of his two breakout films.

Management and production company 42M&P told Sky News it stopped representing Clarke earlier this month.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here